Monday September 23rd, 2013
This year we will have a visiting speaker come to the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade classrooms to discuss the topic of telecommunication safety. Her name is Melanie Kaegi, and she is a Community Advocate for Domestic Violence & Sexual Services (DVSAS) of San Juan County. Prior to the classroom presentations, you are invited to a parent meeting to meet Melanie and to have an interactive discussion about this topic. The parent meeting is on Monday, September 30th, from 6:00pm – 7:30pm at the Friday Harbor Elementary School Gym. Undersheriff Bruce Distler will attend the parent meeting to discuss the legal side of telecommunication safety. Childcare will be provided, if needed.
At the meeting Melanie will present a wealth of useful information which will include:
- A list of internet sites to aid parents in protecting children on cell phones, internet, etc..
- A list of helpful internet sites that help parents and children combat bullying.
- Some printouts: A Parent’s Guide to Social Networking, and A Parent’s Guide to Smart Phone Safety.
- Information about online gaming safety.
- A list of DVSAS services for prevention.
- Templates of internet safety contracts and cell phone contracts that families can use to help create
Following the parent meeting, Melanie will start her classroom presentations on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of that week. Topics covered will be cyber bullying, and safety about the internet, social media, cell phones, and online gaming. Undersheriff Distler will be present at some of these discussions. Please let your child’s classroom teacher or the office staff know if you wish to exclude your child from these discussions. You can also call Mikah Smith at 370-7359 or Principal Diane Ball at 370-7309 if you have any questions about the curriculum.
Mikah Smith and Diane Ball